NOMINATION PERIOD: NOVEMBER 5th - DECEMBER 7th 2018
The purpose of the Employee Recognition Program is to publicly recognize outstanding individuals or team
and/or contributions to public service in 2018. This notice is intended to solicit nominations and announce
lines for the 2018 program.
If you would like to nominate a County employee or a team of employees, click here to access the nomination form.
Eligible individuals and teams include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following. These detailed questions have been added to assist nominators to more effectively provide information which would help each committee evaluate the relative merits of each nomination:
Any employee or team of employees who solve(s) an extraordinary problem for the County.
Please describe the extraordinary problem in detail, the solution to the problem in detail, and identify the people, groups, or agencies that were involved in the solution.
Any employee or team of employees who successfully implement(s) a process improvement or innovative idea.
Please describe the existing situation in detail, describe in detail the process improvement or innovative idea, and identify the people, groups or agencies that were involved in implementing the process improvement or innovation.
Any employee or team of employees who do(es) an outstanding act which brings recognition to the County from the public.
Please describe the outstanding act in detail. Please explain what makes this act so outstanding and identify the people, groups or agencies that were affected by the outstanding act.
Any employee who performs his/her work in a manner which deserves special recognition. This category is limited to individual employees NOT a team of employees.
Describe in detail the specific tasks over and above their normal performance of their job. Describe the personal characteristics which make this person worthy of special recognition. Please identify the people, groups or agencies that were affected by this person.
- Department Heads and Assistant Department Heads may not participate as nominees in this program.
- Permanent County employees are eligible for recognition awards. Extra-help employees may not be nominated.
- YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAMES OF ALL MEMBERS OF THE TEAM THAT YOU NOMINATE, INCLUDING THEIR DEPARTMENT, AND THEIR ROLE.
- Please be as specific as possible in describing the reasons for your nomination of the employee or team. Providing examples enables the Selection Committee to better understand and prioritize all entries.
- Submit ORIGINAL entries only. Entries with duplicate wording will be considered as one entry.
There are five public service categories considered, three employees and/or teams (gold, silver, bronze) will be chosen for recognition from each of the five following designated departmental groupings:
- Health Services - Health Services Agency.
- Human Services - Human Services Department.
- Justice - District Attorney, Probation, Sheriff-Coroner, and Animal Services.
- Land Use and Regulatory - Agricultural Commissioner, Agricultural Extension, Parks, Open Space and Cultural Services, Planning, and Public Works.
- General Government - Assessor-Recorder, Auditor-Controller-Treasurer-Tax Collector, Board of Supervisors' Office, Child Support Services, Clerk of the Board, County Administrative Office, County Clerk-Elections, County Counsel, General Services and Emergency Services, Information Services, and Personnel.
The five categories will each have a committee, appointed by the County Administrative Officer, consisting of six members: two executive management, one middle management, and three employees. Each committee will meet during the month of January to rank the top three nominees for gold, silver, and bronze awards in each of the five departmental groupings. Each committee's recommendations will be forwarded to the County Administrative Officer in January for approval.
Who Can Nominate
Any County employee, including managers, supervisors, and general employees, OR any community member, may make nominations for this award. You may nominate employees outside of your department. You may also make multiple nominations; however, each nomination must be submitted on separate forms which may be obtained online at 2018 Employee Recognition Nomination Form. If you are unable to access the form online, please contact Monica Carrillo at 454-2261. The nomination period is Monday, November 5, 2018 to noon Friday, December 7, 2018. All nominations must be received in the Personnel Department, 701 Ocean Street, Room 510, Santa Cruz, CA 95060 by noon on Friday, December 7th to be considered.
The County Administrative Officer will publicly present the selected individual employees (or groups) to the Board of Supervisors at a Board meeting in late February. The Board will present a proclamation to each employee or team along with their awards. Three monetary awards will be given in each of the five departmental areas:
GOLD AWARD - $300
SILVER AWARD - $200
BRONZE AWARD - $100
- The IRS has determined that this award is considered taxable income.
- In the event of a tie or team award, monetary awards will be split (up to 6 ways) between winners.