(INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY) APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT AND SUPPORT ANALYST II
SANTA CRUZ COUNTY
Under general supervision, to analyze,
design, develop, implement and support programming solutions, including the implementation
and support of commercial applications; and to do other work as required.
This is the journey
level in the Application Development and Support series. Incumbents perform a
full range of moderately difficult duties. Work is usually performed under
general supervision. Incumbents are typically responsible for multiple
production applications, including ongoing support. Errors are limited to application
design or logic and may result in moderate exposure.
- Works in partnership with customers to design solutions
under the direction of a project manager / technical lead.
- Performs systems analysis and design on small to mid-sized
- Develops schedules for projects including outlining phases
and identifying required resources.
- Reports on progress and modifies schedule and plan as
- Writes computer code primarily on a single platform, under
the direction of a more senior programmer.
- Reviews and writes documentation of source code, applications,
test plans, and support requirements (operating and troubleshooting
- Develops reports for applications software to user
- May coordinate tasks of other staff members.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- One or more specific tools and languages used by the
- The principles and techniques of programming in at least
one programming environment, through experience and/or formal education.
- The theories, principles, and practices of developing and
supporting information processing systems.
- At least one scaleable, multi-user database.
- Basic database performance tuning and security issues.
- The fundamentals of process modeling, data modeling, and
Some knowledge of:
- Multi-platform and intersystem relationships.
- Assume responsibility for a complete module or component.
- Write computer code in various languages or in the
language of the assignment.
- Analyze small to mid-sized systems and program
- Understand and manipulate data structures.
- Demonstrate good software development skills.
- Design and develop complete, creative and innovative
solutions to problems.
- Analyze and evaluate programming problems and develop and
implement logically correct solutions.
- Define problem areas, collect and evaluate data, validate
conclusions and make recommendations.
- Demonstrate detailed understanding of customers' needs and
- Leverage and reuse one's own work.
- Perform thorough testing of one's own work and diagnose
problems in it.
- Create accurate work timeframe estimates so as to produce
results in a timely manner.
- Read, comprehend, and write technical documentation.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with other staff
members, customers and vendors.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of training and experience that would
provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to
obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university
with a major in computer science or a closely related field, including course
work in both applications programming and systems analysis.
Two years of
experience performing both systems analysis/design and programming for business
applications, which included analysis and design of several systems or segments
of major systems.
Background Investigation: Some positions may require
fingerprinting and/or background investigation.
Other Special Requirements: Availability to work
irregular hours, which may include evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
Previous Class Titles: Asst. Data Processing
Programmer Analyst, Data Processing Programmer Analyst, Departmental Systems
Analyst, Departmental Information Systems Analyst
Bargaining Unit: 41
Worker's Comp Code: 0053
EEOC Code: 02
Occupational Unit Group: 84