(INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY) BUSINESS SYSTEMS ANALYST
Class Code: FF5
Date Originated: 11/17
SANTA CRUZ COUNTY
Under general supervision, to plan, design, develop, and
implement business, financial, and/or operations systems in support of core
organizational functions and business processes, including gathering and
analyzing data in support of business cases, proposed projects, and systems
requirements; to generate and compile reports based on the findings, complete
with probable causes and possible solutions to systems issues; and to do other
work as required.
Incumbents perform a full range of moderately difficult
duties. Work is usually performed under general supervision. Incumbents are
typically responsible for multiple production applications, including ongoing
support, and serve as liaison between business stakeholders, such as
management, customers or end users, and the software development or information
technology team. Errors could jeopardize projects and be significant in terms
of dollars, lost time, and/or department image. Errors may also result in significant
legal exposure from software licensing non-compliance or from inappropriate
release or loss of data.
- Meets with decision makers, systems owners, and end users
to define business, financial, and operations requirements and systems goals,
and to identify and resolve systems issues. Collaborates in the planning,
design, acquisition, development, and deployment of new applications, and
enhancements to existing applications. Develops proposals, models and
plans for the design and installation of new applications and systems. Works
directly with vendors and/or information services application developers
on the implementation and deployment of systems and system modifications.
- Reviews and analyzes the effectiveness and efficiency of
existing systems and develops strategies for improving or further
leveraging these systems.
- Prepares time study estimates and reports progress on
- Conducts research and works with Information Services to
recommend hardware, software and maintenance requirements for new
application systems. Performs cost-benefit and return on investment
analyses for proposed systems to aid management in making implementation
- Prepares and delivers reports, recommendations, or
alternatives that address existing and potential trouble areas in business
processes across the organization. Performs presentations to executive and
senior staff, Board of Supervisors, external public and private sector
organizations and media outlets.
- Coordinates and performs in-depth tests, including
end-user reviews, for modified and new systems, and other
post-implementation support. Directs, plans and develops support
documentation for employees, managers and citizens. May
provide and coordinate user orientation, training and support.
- Plans, prioritizes, delegates and reviews the work of
assigned project staff; establishes schedules and methods for achieving
project goals and objectives; and reviews work products, makes corrections
and coordinates staff training and development efforts. Manages assigned
projects, which may include developing project budgets, monitoring project
and budgetary performance, and ensuring compliance with applicable
specifications, rules, regulations and laws related to business
- Performs quality assurance functions by developing and
validating test plans and strategies, conducting detailed research and
analysis on business methodologies, and providing recommendations for work
flow and business process improvements. Ensures quality and timeliness of
work performed and final products; supervises and assists in the
preparation of initial and final work flow process design and documentation
necessary for delivery to customers. Ensures compatibility and
interoperability of in-house computing systems. May examine and evaluate
organizational systems for compatibility with automated systems or other
- Extracts data and generates reports from assigned systems
and ensures that data extraction and report generation for assigned
systems meet business needs.
- Develops strategies for business continuity and recovery.
- Participates in special projects as required.
- Assists in the development of departmental business
systems security programs and processes.
- May explore funding sources, write grant proposals and
produce grant documentation.
Thorough knowledge of:
- The principles, practices, methods and techniques used in
overseeing the design, development, and/or implementation of software and
hardware solutions, systems, or products.
- The principles and methods of developing, modifying and
maintaining electronic records management systems.
- The principles, practices, methods and techniques used in extracting
and importing data for use in report software, spreadsheets, graphs, and
Working knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of project management on business
implementation or change management projects.
- Methods of long-term strategic management and technical
- Business and financial best practices.
- The policies, practices and standards of the
organizational functions and business processes supported in the
- Methods and techniques of developing and monitoring
- The principles, practices and methods of training and
Some knowledge of:
- Technology infrastructure, including networking, PCs,
servers, SAN, and virtual servers
- Network and PC operating systems.
- Manage complex projects using project management
- Assess & analyze information systems needs in support
of core organizational functions and develop systems solutions to meet
- Identify and establish scope and parameters of systems
analysis in order to define outcome criteria and measure-taking actions.
- Extract data from various systems and organize data
according to business reporting needs.
- Prepare clear and concise administrative and technical
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Communicate ideas, system requirements and design
specifications in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Apply the principles of business or public administration
- Coordinate and manage large groups of people from various
business units or departments in the development of change management and
business re-engineering projects.
- Work closely with technical and business managers and
- Respond to requests and inquiries from external groups,
citizens, and business and automated system users.
- Employ high levels of independent judgment and
decision-making in the process of problem resolution.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
with those contacted in the course of work.
- Conduct research into systems issues and products.
- Utilize analytical, mathematical, and creative
- Prioritize and execute tasks.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of training and experience that would
provide the knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the
knowledge and abilities would be:
from an accredited college in business or public administration, computer
science, accounting, management information systems or a related field and
two years of experience managing complex business projects, which must have
included one year of project management responsibility that involved: design
and/or implementation for small and medium business information applications;
operation and analysis of database hardware, software, and standards; and the
use of data retrieval and reporting methodologies.
positions may require experience with state mandated data systems.
qualifying experience may substitute for education on a year-for-year basis.
Background Investigation: Some positions may require
fingerprinting and/or background investigation.
License: Possession and maintenance of a California
Class C Driver License.
Other Special Requirements: Availability to work
irregular hours, which may include evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
Bargaining Unit: 11
Worker’s Comp Code: 0053
EEOC Code: 02
Occupational Unit Group: 84