(INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY) SUPPORT SERVICES ANALYST IV
SANTA CRUZ COUNTY
Under direction, to provide end user technical support and
training, including performing help desk functions involving the installation,
configuration, troubleshooting and support of desktop and laptop hardware,
software, operating systems, printers and peripherals; and to do other work as
This is the expert level class in the IT support services series.† Incumbents perform duties of
the highest level of complexity and difficulty, with the greatest scope and
impact. Incumbents serve as an expert technical resource, act as mentors, and may
lead the work of assigned staff. Incumbents use advanced leadership and
technical skills to provide a variety of support services.† Errors in judgment
regarding business or technical decisions may result in significant exposure.
- Provides expert technical support on hardware and/or
software applications used by the County of Santa Cruz. Transports related
equipment as necessary.
- Acts as a technical resource, mentors and instructs other
- Provides functional supervision and may provide
administrative supervision over assigned staff.
- May serve as project manager for assigned projects.
- May make formal recommendations regarding tools,
techniques and methodologies.
- May recommend end-user technology solutions for supported
- May be assigned complex customer issues for investigation
and resolution with no additional assistance.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Thorough knowledge of:
- The methods and techniques used in the installation, configuration,
support and troubleshooting of relevant operating systems, software
applications, hardware and peripherals.
- Methods to analyze and recommend business solutions to
meet customersí needs and requirements.
- Commonly and/or locally used operating systems, software
applications and hardware.
Working knowledge of:
- Network concepts and network administration.
- The principles, practices and methods of project
- The principles, practices and methods of training and
Some knowledge of:
- The methods and techniques of developing and monitoring
- The principles, practices and methods of supervision.
- Develop innovative solutions to meeting customersí needs.
- Demonstrate strong business process and project management
skills, including setting goals and priorities, increasing efficiency.
- Demonstrate detailed understanding of customersí needs and
- Analyze information effectively.
- Conduct research on complex problems, identify possible
solutions and select and implement the best solution.
- Develop and apply operational policies and procedures
appropriately to meet customersí needs.
- Use good judgment and work with minimal direction.
- Identify and solve basic networking problems.
- Work independently in local and/or remote locations.
- Prioritize multiple tasks.
- Explain computing concepts to technical and non-technical
- Provide technical training (one-on-one, small group, and
- Independently install and troubleshoot local software
applications, hardware, and peripherals at the desktop level.
- Learn new software applications.
- Keep current on new and advancing technology and practices
in business automation and technology interconnectivity.
- Provide customer service.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Manage projects, including creating and managing project
plans, schedules, resource allocations and risk concepts.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with other staff
members, customers and vendors.
- Lift equipment weighing up to 40 pounds.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of training and experience which would
provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to
obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
A Bachelorís degree from
an accredited college or university in a computer related field and five
years of experience performing both technical support and training.
Five years of
experience performing both general technical support and training, which
included level I support for two or more relevant enterprise level
Seven years of experience
performing both technical support and training.
At least two years of
qualifying experience must have been at the advanced journey or lead level.
Background Investigation: Some positions may require
fingerprinting and/or background investigation.†
License: Possession and maintenance of a California
Class C Driver License.†
Physical Requirements: The ability to lift equipment
weighing up to forty pounds.
Other Special Requirements: Availability to work
irregular hours, which may include evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
Previous Class Titles: None.
Bargaining Unit: 41
Workerís Comp Code: 0053
EEOC Code: 02
Occupational Unit Group: 84