PERSONNEL ADMINISTRATIVE MANUAL
RECRUITMENT AND EXAMINATION
August 17, 1992
April 21, 2010
To identify who determines a promotional
examination is appropriate; to define what a promotional examination is; to
define who may qualify to compete for promotional examinations; and to document
the process of certifying promotional candidates from eligible lists.
County Code Section 3.20,
Examinations and Eligible Lists.
Civil Service Rules Section VIII, Promotional
Civil Service Rules Section VI.B.3.g, Open
Competitive and Promotional and Extra-Help Eligible Lists.
Civil Service Rules Section XII, Layoffs.
Memoranda of Understanding with Employee
Organizations, Layoff/Reemployment List Provisions.
PAM Section V.2.A, Hierarchy of Employment Lists.
PAM Section V.3.A, Selective Certification.
- When, in the judgment of the Personnel
Director or designee, a position can be best filled by promotion from
within the County workforce, a promotional examination may be held.
- A promotional examination is an
examination restricted to current County of Santa Cruz employees in
budgeted positions in permanent or probationary status, with the
exceptions detailed in II.A.2-4 below.
- Candidates in the following
categories are eligible to apply for promotional examinations:
- Employees in a permanent or
probationary status, or
- Employees in an exempt (non-Civil
Service), budgeted position who were appointed as a result of a
competitive exam process as determined by the Personnel Director. (A
competitive exam process includes a posting of the job announcement; a
filing period; a measurement of the relative job-related knowledge,
skills, and abilities of the candidates through one or more tests; and a
departmental hiring interview resulting in an appointment of one of the
- Employees in a provisional or exempt
(non-Civil Service) budgeted position who previously held a probationary
or permanent status in their previous position in the County, or
- Employees active on a current
- To qualify for a promotional
examination, applicants must also meet the minimum qualifications for the
- Employees described in A.1-4 above
must be in their respective status on all three of the following dates:
- On the final filing date of the
- On the date the eligible list is
- On the date of appointment for the
- At a department's request, promotional
candidates may be selectively certified from an eligible list that was
established through a competitive examination process.
- Applications received for open
competitive and promotional examinations are processed as follows:
- At the time applications are
- Applications are reviewed to see if questions
#8 or #9 (specifying current and past employment with the County of Santa
Cruz) are checked NO or YES.
- If it is an open and competitive
examination and the candidate indicates NO to question #8 and #9, then
they continue in the recruitment process. If the candidate indicates
YES to question #8 and/or #9 they are checked for Promotional or
Re-Employment Eligibility (see flow chart).
- If it is a promotional examination,
follow the flow chart to determine if the candidate is
eligible to continue in the recruitment.
- If neither box is checked, then the
application is incomplete. At the discretion of the recruiting
analyst, the application may be inactivated and the applicant may be
notified they cannot move forward in this recruitment.
- Promotional applicants’ eligibility
is checked in the Payroll System at the following points:
- Upon review of the application and
based on the status as of the final filing date.
- On the date the eligible list is
- On the date(s) the eligible list is
- On the date the candidate is