SANTA CRUZ COUNTY
PERSONNEL ADMINISTRATIVE MANUAL
FILLING OF VACANCIES - EMPLOYEE SELECTION
April 18, 1991
Jan 13, 1993
Feb 25, 2003
To define the interview, re-interview, and candidate notification requirements for departmental selection process.
Civil Service Rule Section VI.B.4.
|Section III.7.||Comparable Class Guidelines|
|Section V.2.A.||Hierarchy of Employment Lists|
|Section V.2.E||Co-mingling Eligible Lists|
|Section V.2.G||Removal of Names from the Certification and/or Eligible List|
|Section V.2.H||Alternate Eligible Lists|
|Section 3.A.||Selection Certification|
|Section V.4.D||Equal Employment Opportunity Considerations in Employee Selection|
|Section V.4.E||Department Selection Interviews|
- INTERVIEW REQUIREMENTS:
The interview requirements for appointment to a position will comply with Civil Service Rules VI.B.4. and will procedurally follow the definitions below. In summary, the interview requirements are as follows (Please refer to procedures for the detail of requirements):
- Appointment is required in the order persons appear on these lists, no other persons may be considered:
- Departmental Overfill List;
- Departmental Reemployment List.
- An offer of interview is required of all persons on these lists:
- County-wide Overfill List;
- County-wide Reemployment List (Personnel Director may waive this requirement if an Open Competitive or Promotional Eligible List exits).
- Interviews are conducted according to the "Rule of Ten", including policy for meeting Equal
Employment Goals (See Section V.4.D., Equal Employment Opportunity Considerations in Employee Selection);
- Open Competitive Eligible Lists
- Promotional Eligible Lists
- Alternate Eligible Lists (I.C.1-2 from a list established for a class determined to be comparable - See Section V.2.H. Alternate Eligible List).
- Interviews are optional for any of the following:
- Transfer Lists;
- Reinstatement Lists;
- Re-Entry Lists;
- Manpower Training Lists;
- Alternate Employment Lists (I.D.1-4 from a list established for a class determined to be comparable - See Section V.2.H. Alternate Eligible List).
- RE-INTERVIEW PROVISIONS (ALL LISTS):
- The Re-interview provision allows an operating department to make a selection from an eligible list or employment list for a period of up to 6 months without conducting new interviews. A new certification must be made and the previous interviews documented. An exception would occur where the list has been co-mingled with new candidates subsequent to the original interviews.
- The use of the re-interview provision may be requested by the department. This is an optional provision.
- In reviewing the request, the Personnel Director will consider the needs of the department and the status of the list. If the Open Competitive or Promotional Eligible List has been co-mingled (See Section V.2.E. Co-mingling Eligible Lists) since the original certification, the re-interview request will be denied.
- Certification Request – Operating Department: When a vacancy occurs, the operating
department completes a Personnel Certification/Recruitment Request Form and
submits it to the Personnel Department. (During a hiring freeze, proper freeze
exemptions must be obtained prior to appointment.)
- Conducting of Interviews - Department:
The department will offer interviews (or make appointments) according to the required provisions defined below:
Departmental Overfill List
Certification from a Departmental Overfill list is on a “Rule of One” basis – one name for one vacancy in order of seniority. The person certified must be offered the vacancy. The names of all persons with the same (tied) seniority will be certified together. The department may select from among those with the same seniority. No other persons may be considered.
- Departmental Reemployment List
Certification from a Departmental Reemployment list is on a “Rule of One” basis – one name for one vacancy in order of seniority. The person whose name is certified must be offered the vacancy. The names of all persons with the same (tied) seniority will be certified together. The department may select from among those with the same seniority. No other persons may be considered.
- County-wide Overfill List
All names on the Countywide Overfill list are certified together as a bloc in no particular order. Departments must offer to interview all persons on the list prior to receiving certification from another employment list with a lower priority.
- Countywide Reemployment List
All names on the Countywide Reemployment list are certified in a bloc in order of seniority. Departments must offer all persons on a Countywide Reemployment List the opportunity to be interviewed. However, when an Open Competitive List, Promotional Eligible List or a Reemployment List exist for the class, the appointing authority may be authorized to make a selection from the Eligible List by the Personnel Director.
- Open Competitive and Promotional Eligible Lists
Certification from Open Competitive and Promotional Eligible Lists is on a “Rule of Ten” basis – ten
names for one vacant position in exam score order. If there is more than one vacancy, an
additional name is certified for each additional vacancy. The names of all eligibles with the same
(tied) score will be certified together. The Personnel Director may selectively certify candidates that possess
bona fide occupational qualifications which are specific to the position being
filled. (See Section V.3.A. Selective Certification). The Personnel Director may also selectively certify candidates who have
indicated their availability for specific job types (e.g. part-time,
temporary); work locations (e.g.
); or shifts (e.g. days,
swing). Persons are offered an interview
in the order of the Eligible List. All
persons above the person appointed, including those with a tie score to this
person, must be offered an interview. All persons identified as a protected class member for the job
classification must be offered an interview.
- Transfer, Reinstatement, Re-Entry and Manpower Training Lists
- Transfer, Re-Entry and Reinstatement Lists. All names are referred together as a
block in no particular order. Any person on these lists may be offered an interview.
- Manpower Training List. All names on the Manpower Training List are referred
together as a bloc. Names appear on the list in order of the date on which placed on the list. All persons above the individual appointed must be offered an interview.
- Alternate Eligible Lists
Names on an Alternate Eligible
list developed from an Open Competitive or Promotional Eligible List shall be
certified and offered an interview on the same basis as certification from a
regular Open Competitive or Promotional Eligible List.
- Alternate Employment Lists
Names on an Alternate Employment List developed from
a source other than an Open Competitive or Promotional Eligible List shall be
certified together as a bloc in no particular order (Exception: Manpower List – in the order of date
established to the list). Any person on
the list may be offered an interview.
- Documenting Interview Results & Candidate Notification: Department
The department will document the results of the structured selection interview according to Section V.4.E. on Department Selection interviews.
Those on the list will be notified by U.S. mail or e-mail as to the results of the interview. Personnel will be provided with evidence of said notification.
Results that allow additional persons to be considered for
interview for Open Competitive and Promotional Eligible Lists are noted below:
| ||Results of the interview/offer of interview||Additional Names|
|1.||Interviewed and considered but not appointed
|2.||Candidate requests removal from the list||Yes|
|3.||Candidate declines an interview||Yes|
|4.||Candidate does not respond to a mailed notice||Yes|
|5.||Candidate fails to appear for an interview||Yes|
|6.||Candidate appointed then declines position||Yes|
- Verifying Interview Requirements and Candidate Notification: Personnel
Upon receiving a request for appointment from the department, Personnel will verify that the interview requirements have been met before an appointment can be valid. Personnel will verify electronically that departments have sent letters or emails. If the appointment is made through a request for the use of the Re-interview provision, Personnel will consider the appropriateness of this request. If the requirements have not been met, or Personnel determines that the use of the Re-interview provision is not appropriate, the department will be contacted and told what interviews must be conducted and/or that candidates need to be notified of interview results. No job offer will be valid until all interview requirements have been met.
Personnel will remove names from the Eligible List according
to Section V.2.G. Removal of names from Employment and
Eligible List, will be based on information provided by the department as a
result of their interviews. Candidates
will be mailed notices that their names are being moved and given an
opportunity to respond to this action.
***PAM054B RFT F1
PAM054B RFT F101/10/01