SANTA CRUZ COUNTY
PERSONNEL ADMINISTRATIVE MANUAL
PERSONNEL TRANSACTION DEADLINES
PERSONNEL ADMINISTRATIVE RECORDS
Dec. 18, 1992
To identify the deadlines for submitting personnel transactions paperwork.
County Code Section 4.15.020
- Different types of personnel transactions require different levels of review and approval. In order to provide adequate time for review, approval and processing, different deadlines have been established for different types of transactions.
- Transactions paperwork should be submitted prior to the deadline date whenever possible. The deadlines outlined below reflect the latest dates upon which personnel transactions paperwork must be received by the Personnel Department.
- The deadlines outlined in this Personnel Administrative Manual section may change during pay periods in which there is a holiday. The Personnel Department will notify Personnel Clerks of any deadline changes due to holidays.
- ROUTINE TRANSACTIONS
The deadline for the following transactions is Friday at 5:00 p.m. at the end of the first week of the pay period in which the transaction is effective:
11 Step Advancement
15 Probationary to Permanent Status
21 Position Code Change
25 Title Change
71 Range Change for Class/Salary Adjustment
72 New Minimum Step Established For Salary Range
73 Name Change
80 Address Change
93 Former Employee Appointed as Extra-Help*
*This deadline applies to recurrent extra-help appointments only, which occur when there is no break in service between the permanent or probationary status and the extra-help appointment. In this situation, the turnaround document coded for extra-help appointment must be submitted with the turnaround document terminating the employee; however, the extra-help appointment will not be effective until the pay period following the pay period in which the termination was effective.
- TRANSACTIONS REQUIRING PERSONNEL DIRECTOR (OR DESIGNEE) APPROVAL
The deadline for the following transactions is 5:00 p.m. on the Monday before the beginning of the pay period in which the action is effective:
16 Provisional to Probationary
17 Substitute to Non-Substitute
18 Limited Term to Regular Appointment
22 Transfer to a New Classification
23 Transfer in Same Class to New Department
24 Displacement to Equal Class in Layoff
43 Displacement to Lower Class in Layoff
94 Appointment to Different Class as Extra-Help
95 Appointment in Same Class in Different Department as Extra-Help
- TRANSACTIONS REQUIRING PERSONNEL DIRECTOR (OR DESIGNEE) APPROVAL AND SCHEDULING OF PHYSICAL AND/OR PROCESSING APPOINTMENT
The deadline for the following paperwork is three full working days prior to the requested processing/physical date (with the exception of advanced step appointments - see note below):
01 Probationary Appointment
02 Provisional Appointment
03 Substitute Appointment
04 Non-Civil Service Appointment
07 Reinstatement Following Layoff
08 Reemployment Following Layoff
09 Other Appointment Following Layoff
91 New Extra-Help Employee
93 Former Employee Appointed as Extra-Help
The deadline for advanced step appointments at steps 4 and 5 is six full working days prior to the requested processing/physical date.
The deadline for advanced step appointments at steps 6 and 7 is ten full working days prior to the requested processing/physical date.
- LEAVES OF ABSENCE TRANSACTIONS REQUIRING PERSONNEL DIRECTOR (OR DESIGNEE) APPROVAL
The deadline for the following paperwork is a minimum of one week prior to the effective date of the transaction:
51 Initial Leave of Absence - Medical Reason
52 Initial Leave of Absence - Personal
53 Extension of Leave of Absence - Medical
54 Extension of Leave of Absence - Personal
55 Return from Leave of Absence Without Pay
57 Military Leave
In the case of medical emergencies it may not be possible to submit paperwork in advance of the effective date of the leave of absence without pay. In this situation the employee will not be informed in advance whether the leave has been approved or not approved.