CLIMATE ACTION MANAGER
SANTA CRUZ COUNTY
Under general supervision, this position will be primarily responsible for leading and coordinating efforts aimed at reducing emissions and greenhouse gases and preparing the County for climate change adaptation. This position will implement the County’s Climate Action Strategy which may include projects that reduce greenhouse gases or improve energy efficiency, address climate change adaption due to sea level rise, coastal erosion, fire hazards, drought, or extreme weather events, and advance County management of groundwater, storm water and solid waste, active transportation, commute alternatives, environmentally friendly purchasing, and green building in accordance with the County’s Sustainability General Plan and Strategic Plan goals.
This classification has full functional management responsibility and cross departmental authority for all aspects of the County’s Climate Action Strategy. This position requires skills in grant-writing, analytics, public outreach and knowledge of environmental science and policies related to climate change and greenhouse gas emissions. Strong writing, and public speaking skills as well as management skills, including managing internal and external stakeholders, change management, project planning, budgeting, and project delivery are necessary for success in this job. Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) are required and emission modeling, financial analysis and Microsoft Project and advanced Excel skills are a plus.
· Plans, organizes, facilitates, directs and/or coordinates across departments projects which implement the Climate Action Strategy;
· Directs cross-departmental teams including subordinate or other professional level staff on emission reduction, climate action, and sustainability and adaptation programs and projects;
· Participates in preparation of and administers the section budget and writes grants to secure funding for the section;
· Works closely with other departments and project teams to develop joint procedures and to solve administrative problems;
· Evaluates and establishes policies and procedures;
· Formulates improvements and implements changes related to the Climate Action Strategy;
· Represents the section in dealing with complaints, other departments, agencies and community groups;
· Consults with the Capital Project Manager and other management staff on work programs, schedules, policies and program development;
· Analyze and supports initiatives, legislation and actions for reducing or adapting to the impacts of climate change
· May represent the department or section at meetings;
· Prepares and/or reviews reports and correspondence;
· Performs complex and difficult special assignments and projects;
· Attends meetings and conferences;
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
· In-depth knowledge of environmental and climate change related concepts, theories, policies and practices.
· Sound understanding of current issues related to climate change and environment.
· Plan, organize and direct the work of cross departmental or cross functional teams.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of education and experience which would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying, unless otherwise specified.
A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver's License or the employee must be able to provide suitable transportation which is approved by the appointing authority.
Bargaining Unit: 11
EEOC Job Category: 02
Workers' Comp Code: 0053